Music, Inspiration, Baking Escapes

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Mary and Martha

      It's interesting, and humbling. That is, learning from a book you're teaching to twelve year-olds, a book you read yourself when you were that age. 
      The book is called A Young Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George. An excellent read, really. However, I don't think I had ever fully grasped the teaching of the story of Mary and Martha depicted in the first chapter. I have always considered myself more of a "Mary" than a "Martha." Yesterday, however,  I realized how much I have changed over the years.
       In January I married an awesome guy named Seth Peachey, and we have had so much fun doing life together. But, as most young brides know, it takes a lot to start a new household--money, time, organization, cleaning. Then, on top of that, a wife has many new responsibilities that come along with the job and can be overwhelming at times. Yesterday was such a day for me. 
        I was in charge of teaching my pre-teen girls class at our Boys and Girls Club, and I always seem to struggle to get as much preparation in as is needed for a relaxed class time. Recently, though, by observing a senior teacher's calm and collected composure as she taught, I felt motivated to be as prepared as she when it was my turn. I wanted these girls to really perceive  what I was going to teach. So I planned ahead, ordered books, and bought some craft supplies. 
      Wednesday morning came, and with it a sink full of dishes, laundry baskets stacked high waiting to be folded, shopping bags also piled in the laundry room also waiting to be put away, important errands to run, and the desire to have a good lesson prepared by that night. How was I to accomplish it all?If you know me at all, I may appear to be a disorganized, "fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" type of person, but in my house, I really dislike mess and clutter. Just ask Seth.  So what should I do, prepare for my lesson or clean up the mess? 
       Against my better instincts, I began working on my lesson. Time came to go to the license branch and run my errands. Let's just say that it does not take 45 minutes to get to the Plymouth BMV from my house, and neither do they let you change your name when you forget the papers you were supposed to bring. I drove home, discouraged, and shed a few tears of frustration.
       When things like this happen, I normally go through my mental to-do list and bemoan 
how few of those got accomplished and how much time was wasted. Once I had dried my tears though, I realized that I didn't feel all that regret. I had prioritized the important, eternal to-do lists that day. I could go to Boys and Girls Club that night and truly feel accomplished. I could teach them about Mary and Martha because I had truly learned Mary's secret: prioritizing Jesus! 
       Elizabeth George points out the fact that Mary did have things to do. She wanted to prepare for her guests just as much as Martha did. But the second JESUS walked in the door, she put down the plate she was drying, and sat at His feet. Being with her Guest was more important to her than preparing for Him. 
       So, how am I going to apply this every day? Well, it's not going to be easy, I am sure of that. But I am going to stop "grading" myself and my ability to complete or not complete my task lists from day to day. And I hope that you can experience that peace of mind as well. Let's make kingdom work--people, prayer, studying,and most of all Jesus--our highest priority today and every day for the rest of our lives. 


Source:








No comments:

Post a Comment