Music, Inspiration, Baking Escapes

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

God-given Refreshment

      Wow, it’s been a long time since I last blogged. I miss it. I have been at Hillcrest for ten months now. What have I learned? Lots. Lots and lots. As most of you know I started dating a wonderful man from South Carolina named Austin Mullet. :) I know, he’s a southerner, but give him a chance; he’s pretty incredible. :) My time here has been good, and I hope to return home mid-June.

      So what’s this blog post about? Well, I was having my devotions this morning. (Well, actually it was this afternoon. I’m going on night duty tonight so my days are mixed up.) Anyway, several weeks had passed since I had had my devotions. Yes, I said weeks. Why do I do this to myself? As usual, however, God was merciful and blessed me in the Scriptures He led me to read. The passage in my One Year Bible was quite timely. I am still in January, so my reading was in Genesis.  Rachel and Leah were having their squabbles and “baby wars.” Ridiculous, I thought to myself. First the reader thinks, “Poor Rachel, she was supposed to marry Jacob.” Then all of a sudden you have pity on Leah because Jacob loves her less than Rachel. God blesses Leah with sons, then Rachel, then Leah, and on it goes. When their sons were born, Rachel or Leah would say things like, “I know God gave me this baby because he heard my cry of distress.”

        I saw myself in this story. How many times am I “needy” for God? How many times do I pray selfish prayers, just asking God to get me through the day or through the current season? How many times could I have had peace if only I had asked God to be my stay? I run around in life searching for happiness, joy, and fulfillment in everything but God. As I read this passage, I thought to myself, “God, why did You still love them? Why did You still answer their prayers for children?” Then I realized that God does that for me all the time.  All the time. And I stand back, amazed, simply amazed, at a God who does not love us according to our actions. Why is that so hard for me to comprehend? I see now that I often think/worry that if I stray from God for too long he’ll eventually give up on me. But He does not.  Thank You Jesus He does not!

      So, wherever you are, child, do not be afraid of God. Do not be afraid that His love will run out. His love is limitless, and He is waiting on you.  Run to Him, with arms stretched out, and fall in love with the God Who made you.

No comments:

Post a Comment